Geological and Paleontological Museum
It was founded as a "Physiographic Museum" in 1835 by the private scientific "Society Physiographic" under Karl Franz, permanent professor of the Othonia University. It then included collections of zoology, botany, geology and mineralogy. In 1858 it was granted to the University, under Professor Iraklis Mitsopoulos. In 1862, the botanical and in 1875 the geological and palaeontological collections were separated and formed a special museum with its current name, under Professor Th. Skoufos.
The museum is now located on the Athens University campus and includes fossils from the excavations of Pikermio, Almyropotamos, Samos, Megalopotamos, Kymi, etc.
An impressive exhibit is the Mastodus, ancestor of today's elephant, which had 4 tusks and not two, like today's. Also, the Dwarf elephants, from the excavations of Tilos, fossils of the Holocene (7,000 years), found in the cave "Harkadio".
Source: Papyrus Larus Britannica