The Monastery of the Transfiguration of Christ (or Christ in the Forest) and Agios Arsenios is located 6 km southwest of Parikia. It is a 17th-century female convent. The monastic complex was the estate of the Mavrogenis family until 1793, which was then dedicated to the municipal church of Panagia Ekatontapyliani. In 1805 the Coinovian Monastery of the Transfiguration of Christ was founded, which turned into a peculiar one in 1877. The founding of the Monastery is due to Father Kyrillos Papadopoulos (1745-1833), abbot of the Monastery of Agios Georgios Lagada. From 1977 until today it functions as a convent with an abbess and 3 nuns. The Monastery also bears the name of Saint Arsenios (1800-1877), patron saint of Paros, who died here on January 31, 1877. His remains are kept in the homonymous church, in the northern part of the western outer courtyard of the monastery, where his tomb is also located. The church of Agios Arsenios was inaugurated in 2002 by the Metropolitan Ambrosios of Paranaxia. It is a large basilica with a dome, with a double bell tower and 3 arched openings at the entrance. The temple celebrates with 2 festivals on January 31 and August 18.
Editor: Niki Kalopaidis