The Monastery of Agia Marina is located 6.5 km southwest of the capital of the island (Ioulida), between the ancient cities of Korissia and Poiiessa. The monastery was founded around 1600 and only the church of Agia Marina survives from the original complex. Agia Marina the Parthenomartys comes from Pissideia (Pianidea), lived in the years of Emperor Claudius (258 AD) and was martyred by beheading. The post-Byzantine church is cruciform inscribed with a hexagonal dome and bell tower at the entrance. Of interest are the decoration of the temple with small heads of winged angels as well as the marble fountain with a decorative carved rosette (1874). It celebrates annually with a festival on July 17.
A five-story tower from the Hellenistic era (4th century BC) rises in the vicinity of the monastery, which was incorporated into the Monastery when it was founded for defensive reasons. Until the middle of the 19th century. it was preserved intact, but after the earthquake of 1858 it collapsed. Today, only the northern side of the building remains intact. It is a typical example of a single fortified tower, 20 m. high, four-sided (10X10 m.) with a cantilever, built with local slate and marble. Since 2009, the Classical Antiquities Administration has undertaken the restoration of the building.
Editor: Niki Kalopaidis