The Monastery is built at an altitude of 170 m and belongs to Fodele Maleviziou. It was founded by monks of the destroyed Monastery of Agios Antonios Pera Galina around the middle of the 17th century. At the entrance there is a built-in inscription with the date 1677. It is a fortress-type monastic complex. In the center is the holy temple surrounded by cells, kitchens, storerooms...etc. The church in the shape of a basilica consists of 2 aisles and has a vaulted roof. The southern aisle is dedicated to Agios Panteleimon while the northern aisle is dedicated to Agios Antonios. Notable icons such as the Great High Priest (1837), the Root of Jesse on the iconostasis (1782), Saint Dimitrios (1762) and Saint George, the work of George Kastrophylakas, have been preserved.
The Monastery, during the liberation struggle of 1866 and thanks to its active abbot Neophytos Pediotis, was a munitions store, a meeting place for provosts and a shelter for women and children. In 1867 it was destroyed by the commander of Heraklion Resit Efendi. At the beginning of the 20th century housed 30 monks.
Editor: Niki Kalopaidis