It is one of the most important and majestic monasteries in Greece and takes its name from the adjacent Panormos bay. The existence of a historical monastery in the 15th century. it is confirmed by a manuscript of 1460, which was preserved until 1862. The current church, single-aisled, in the style of a single-aisled basilica with two internal ribbed cross vaults, is a building of 1783, by the architect Anastasis Karnavas from Rhodes. The iconography of Katholikos was carried out by the famous Symaean iconographer Hieromonk Neophytos and the also Symaean Kyriakos Karakosti, while its wood-carved iconostasis, made by a Koos craftsman, is an example of exceptional skill.
Admiration and awe are also caused by the miraculous icon of Taxiarch Michael, which is full-length and in 1724, at the expense of the captains, the clergy and the community of Symi, it was completely invested with gold and silver and is always loaded with the prayers of the faithful.
The famous bell tower of Panormitis, above the central gate of the Monastery, was built at the beginning of the century in a baroque style, and it is said that it was modeled after a similar bell tower of a Russian church. The bell, weighing 3 tons, has also arrived from Russia.
The monastery complex hosts two museums, one of Ecclesiastical art with a rich collection of relics and one of Folklore. There is also a library with post-Byzantine manuscripts.
It also maintains a traditional olive mill, a tsikoudia distillery (from figs) and a wax factory.
The Monastery hosts a large number of vacationers in the summer in its cells, offering every comfort for a low rent. The Monastery celebrates on November 8 and Pentecost.
Editor: Fotini Anastasopoulou