The Monastery of Agios Mamas is located on the south side of Kasos, near the old capital Poli, on a hill overlooking the Libyan Sea. It was founded by the hieromonk Christoforos in the 19th century (between 1867-1894). It is a cruciform temple with a single room, three niches with semi-cylindrical niches. It is covered by an octagonal dome covered with a hemispherical dome and has a pronao covered with a cruciform dome. The temple is dedicated to Saint Mama (260 AD), protector of shepherds and their flocks, who was killed with a trident defending his faith in God. The Monastery celebrates with a big festival on September 2, the day of the Saint's feast. The site of the monastery is managed by the well-known Kasos "Mavrina" (Kalliopi Zouli). It is possible to stay overnight (tel. 22450 41037).
Editor: Fotini Anastasopoulou