Findings testify to the human presence since 6000 BC. The region was part of ancient Thessaliotida together with the regions of Fthiotida, Istiaiotida and Pelasgiotida, the Thessalian Tetrad, an alliance of the first form. Reference to the area is also made by Homer, in the Iliad, where three cities (Ithomi, Titanio and Asterio) participated with their ships in the Trojan War.
During the Byzantine period, Karditsa experienced successive invasions by Slavs, Vlachs, Catalans. An outstanding Byzantine monument in the area, the castle of Fanario dominates the outskirts of Agrafi overlooking the Thessalian plain.
The region of Agrafa during the period of the Turkish occupation kept the spiritual and religious cradle of Hellenism intact, with its famous schools.
The contribution of the local element to all the struggles of Greek history was important. Karaiskakis, Katsantonis, Diplas, the Boukouvalaios and others. they grew up or worked in the area helping to free it from the Turkish yoke, which finally came in 1881.
The years following the liberation are characterized by the reconstruction of the place and the struggle for progress. The struggles of the farmers for the fair redistribution of the land are also well known, culminating in the rebellion in Killeler (6-3-1910).
The period of Italian-German occupation interrupted the course of progress presented during the interwar period. An important factor in the liberation struggle against the Axis was the mass participation of the population in the Resistance. Characteristic examples: the allied airport that operated on the plateau of Nevropoli (today's Lake N. Plastira), in Agrafa was the headquarters of the ELAS. In the village of Koryschades was the headquarters of the Provisional Revolutionary Government of the mountain.
On March 12, 1943, Karditsa became the first free city in enslaved Europe, when the ELAS fighters, after the escape of the Italians to Trikala, entered the city in formation and marching.
Since 1944, Karditsa is declared by law and ceases to exist as a province of Trikala.
Editor: Fotini Anastasopoulou