Inner Castle is now in ruins. The Outer Castle consists of a series of houses, the outer wall of which was at the same time the wall of the defensive castle in its function. In many houses there are infrareds with coats of arms and dates. Between the two rows of houses there was a perimeter road, narrow enough to fit only small carts. The Exo Castle has two gates: the Lower Gate on the south, and the Upper Gate on the east side, next to which is today the Folklore and Maritime Museum, whose founder is the doctor Manolis Christoulakis. The gates bear dates that concern their repair, after a pirate attack in 1638, when the Castle was blown up (1650 and 1646 respectively). Then the Castle was strengthened with more towers. Today the houses of the outer row have doors and windows opened to the outside. There is currently only one entrance to Inner Castle. The other, "Stiadi", has been destroyed. Perhaps from the 17th century its settlement happened after the liberation of Greece from the Turks. As a general rule, the closer a house is to the Castle, the older it is.
Editor: Fotini Anastasopoulou