The Venetian Castle of Nisyros is located on the western side of the Mandraki settlement, at a height of 150 meters. It is a castle made of hard rock (basaltic andesite) that was built in 1315 AD. from the Knights of the Order of Agios Ioannis, a time when the Ioanninite Knights fortified Nisyros. It is also called Castle of Spiliani because of the monastery of Panagia Spiliani located in its vicinity. The monastery was built around 1600 and is considered the most important pilgrimage site of the island because it is here that the miraculous amphigraphed icon of the right-handed Virgin Mary and Saint Nicholas was found (1400 AD). Probably the temple was built on the site earlier than the end of the 14th century. The coats of arms of some officials of the Knights of the 15th century are also preserved.
Editor: Niki Kalopaidis