The Archaeological Museum of Mykonos is located on the hill above the port of Mykonos. It was built in 1902 with the purpose of housing the findings of the excavations in Rhenia that had brought to light the famous "Cleansing Pit of Delos". The building in its original form had a neoclassical design with a tiled roof and gables, but in the repairs and additions of 1934 and 1972 it took its current Cycladic form with flat roofs and atriums and the large eastern hall was added.
The museum includes six rooms and in addition to the finds from the Pit of Katharses, its collection includes sculptures and tombstones from Rhenia as well as important finds from excavations in Mykonos, most notably the "Lady of Mykonos", -the Neolithic figurine from Ftelia- and the famous monumental pitcher with a relief representation of the flood of Troy, which comes from a tomb of the Three Wells (second quarter of the 7th century BC).
Its rich collection of vases (dating from the middle of the 3rd millennium to the 1st century BC) is representative of Cycladic ceramic production.
Editor: Fotini Anastasopoulou