National Gallery and Museum of Alexander Soutzou
(Michalakopoulou 1 & Vas. Konstantinou 50 Athens tel. 210 7235857)
The National Gallery was founded in 1900 and in 1954 it was merged with the A. Soutzou bequest. He settled in the newly built building at the corner of Vas. Sofias and Vas. Konstantinou avenues. The construction of which was completed in 1976. It includes works of painting and sculpture by Greek and foreign artists, decorative engravings and wood carvings. The total number of works in the gallery together with the Koutlidis collection, which was donated to the state in 1978, exceeds 7,000.
On display are the main works of painting, engraving and sculpture by Greek artists of the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries, such as Gyzi, Lytra, Volanaki, Iakovidis, Malea, Partheni, Papaloukas, Sclavou, Halepa, Tombro, Kapralou and others. Furthermore, there are 4 works by Domenikos Theotokopoulos, as well as a collection of drawings and engravings by great foreign artists, such as Dürer, Rembrandt, Van Dyck, Braque, Picasso, Cézanne, etc.
Source: Papyrus Larus Britannica