Imposing in appearance overlooking the plain of Xanthi, the monastery of Panagia Archangeliotissa is a point of reference for the faith of thousands of Orthodox Christians who come every year to worship her grace. Built on the fringes of the mountain mass just above the "Samakov" district in the north-east of Xanthi, the monastery as it is today was built in 1841 during the time of the late Metropolitan of Xanthi Evgeniou.
However, a crypt under the holy platform dates back to 1000 to 1100 AD, without any further information as it was destroyed by two major earthquakes that hit the area around 1829. As for the name Arkhangeliotissa, according to one version, it was taken from the small miraculous icon of the 16th century which represents the Virgin Mary attended by the archangels Gabriel and Michael and which has the inscription: Archangeliotissa, while in written references there is also the name Panagia the Chalkaliotissa. But regardless of the name of the monastery, it was a beacon of spiritual radiation and consolation for all the inhabitants of the area and a nursery from which high priests also emerged, who out of gratitude have left various tributes and even handwritten books as heirlooms.
Editor: Fotini Anastasopoulou