The monastery of Palaiopanagia, dedicated to Panagia Eleousa, is located at the first turns of the road 'Astrous - Panagia Malevi - Ag. Petrou, on the left, where the streams of the opposite hillside meet. From a nearby bend, a good dirt road starts that leads to the monastery gate.
The monastery maintains its original character with few modern interventions. The katholikon is a cross-roofed four-cornered church and was built in 1814. The first historical mention of the monastery is in 1612, while others mention 1310 as the year of its first foundation.
The monastery maintains a metochi nearby. The monastery today is a women's monastery.
Editor: Fotini Anastasopoulou