The Kaltezon Monastery is located near the village of Kaltezes in the Municipality of Valtetsi, while it is 13 km from Kato Asea and 31 km from Tripoli. It has been built in a beautiful and green location.
A road leads to the monastery before the village of Mavroyianni, while road access is also available from Kaltezes. The monastery is dedicated to Agios Nikolaos, the Prophet Elias and the Transfiguration of the Savior.
It is one of the newest monasteries of Arcadia. From an inscription on the main gate of the monastery, we are informed that the year of foundation was 1795. According to tradition, the Monastery was founded in the middle of the 18th century, while construction began in 1719 by the monks Anthimos and Kallinikos. It was originally dedicated to Agios Nikolaos. It is also reported that in 1760 it numbered 40 monks. The katholikon of the Kaltezon Monastery is a cruciform church inscribed with a dome resting on four pillars. The monastery was renovated in 1920.
It is a historic monastery as on May 26, 1821 it hosted the First Peloponnesian Senate which held its first founding meeting there. It was attended by 37 representatives from all over the Peloponnese and during this meeting the first members of the steering committee were elected (P. Mavromichalis, N. Poniropoulos, S. Charalambis, A. Kanakaris, T. Rentis, A. Deligiannis, T. Bresthenis etc.). Also, as mentioned in the relevant code of the monastery, in May 1819 the first assembly of the provosts and chieftains for the preparation of the Revolution was held in one of its cells, but no specific decision was made.
The Gospel on which the members of the Senate swore is preserved and is a relic of the monastery.
Source: UNIVERSITY OF PATRAS