The Holy Women's Synovial Monastery of the Transfiguration of the Savior of the Victors belongs administratively to the Holy Metropolis of Philippi. It is called the Monastery of Nikitos from the settlement of Nikitos (11 km from Chrysoupoli) which today has been abandoned. The monastery was built on the site where the miraculous icon of the Transfiguration of the Savior (100X55 cm.) was found, known for its ability to "knock" warning of a divine message. The icon of "Agiosotira" was brought to the Victors of Kavala in 1922 by refugees from Ano Neochorio of Panormos in Greater Asia. On March 26, 1969, the women's Hermitage was founded under Metropolitan Alexander, which was transformed into a Congregational Monastery under Metropolitan Philippi Prokopios in 1975. The monastery complex includes the large church of Sotiros, a two-storey building with arches (guesthouses, hospitality areas), archontariki, chapel of Agios Panteleimonas, chapel of Agios Nektarios, exhibition of handicrafts, workshops (eg priesthood), warehouses as well as the tomb of Fr. Sotiris Melidis, priest of the Monastery.
Editor: Fotini Anastasopoulou