Not far from the village of Loutro, next to the banks of the river Aliakmona, is the monastery of Agia Kyriaki, surrounded by a cluster of towering trees.
Tradition tells that the Saint lived here until her death and in this place was later found, inside a tree trunk, a wooden image of her, which is preserved to this day.
At the spot where the icon was found, a shrine was built in her honor. This chapel became a gathering place for believers from all the surrounding villages thanks to the miraculous properties attributed to the icon.
The church of the Monastery was built in 1914, while the narthex was added in 1922. During the years of the German occupation, this area was used as the headquarters of the national resistance and a shelter for rebels.
The Monastery became a women's monastery in 1962, and it remains so until today. In recent years, with the care of the Holy Metropolis of Veria and Naoussis, many modern buildings and facilities have been added to the monastery.
The monastery of Agia Kyriaki is tied to the memory of all the inhabitants of the villages of the plain and the towns of the prefecture of Imathia for its famous festival that takes place on July 7, in which crowds of pilgrims participate.
Pilgrims who are not absent all year there is space and possibility to be accommodated in the guesthouses of the monastery with comfort and care.
Editor: Fotini Anastasopoulou