The imposing church of Panagia of Tinos was founded in 1823. It is one of the most important and important buildings made of white marble, which is the first remarkable architectural monument of the liberated Greek nation. The central gate of the church is extremely imposing, as well as the iconostasis, in which the miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary is kept, which is full of prayers from the faithful. The church of Megalochari with the surrounding buildings constitute the Holy Foundation of Evangelistria, which, in addition to its contribution to the development of the island, is active both religiously and socially.
The church was built on the spot where the icon of the Annunciation of the Virgin was found. The icon of the Virgin Mary was found on January 30, 1823, during work on the paving of the church. Its style does not belong to Byzantine times, but to the early Christian ones. Specialists who dealt with its origin, came to the conclusion that it is the work of the Evangelist Luke and indeed that it is one of his first three icons. Its miraculous properties are attributed to the fact that the Virgin herself blessed this work. Immediately after the icon was found, it was decided to build a new, larger church dedicated to the name of the Annunciation.
Editor: Fotini Anastasopoulou