The Monastery of Panagia Kastriani, built on a rock, is located in Kastri, 12 km from Chora. At the spot where the icon of the Virgin Mary was found, the monastery was built in 1700, which is considered one of the most important on the island, and is dedicated to the Dormition of the Virgin. In the monastery area, there are 2 churches, the old one (from 1800) and the newest one (from 1910), a two-story building (guest houses), cells and auxiliary areas. At the entrance of the complex, the tall bell tower dominates, in a blue-white shade, and a double spire. The central church is of the basilica type with a dome and has a white iconostasis and a mosaic with rhomboid decoration. The miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary is kept inside the church. The Monastery celebrates with a big festival on August 15.
Editor: Niki Kalopaidis