At 35 km southeast of Rethymnon, near the village of Amari in the municipal district of Syvritis, is the Monastery of Taxiarches or Asomatas. In a document from the 13th century, the Monastery is identified with that of Michael the Archangel and dates from around 961 - 1204 AD. It was a fortress with a strong wall and formed the basis of the revolution of the Hortatzis (13th century) against the Venetians. In 1812, it is reported that the Turkish envoy to Crete, Osman Pasha, attended the Monastery of the Immaculate Mysteries. During the Greek revolution the building complex was destroyed several times by the Turks. Two important icons are kept in the sanctuary of the church, of the Holy Trinity (1619) and of the Taxiarches, which were painted by Abbot Manassis. Since 1930, an Agricultural School (School of Incorporeals) has been operating on the grounds of the monastery.
Editor: Niki Kalopaidis