The Arsaniou Monastery is located 12 km east of Rethymno. It should have been founded in the years of the Venetian rule by a certain monk Arsenios who also gave his name to the monastery.
According to another opinion, the name comes from a certain Arsinoe who dedicated her property to build the monastery. The cruciform church with a dome that the visitor sees today was built in 1888 and is dedicated to Saint George. This is the second temple that was built on the site of the older one that was inaugurated in 1600. The monastery was renovated in 1970 and the catholicon was painted around 1988/90. It has a museum and a conference center.
Source: Department of Tourism of the Regional Unity of Rethymnon