Southwest of the city of Rethymno, near the University Campus, is the traditional settlement of Gallos. On the west side of the settlement is located the Holy Monastery of Agios Pavlos which was built around 1566 and was a Metochi of the Arkadiou Monastery. In the revolution of 1866, the Monastery was set on fire and the monks were massacred. In 1927, the lands belonging to the Monastery were granted by the Holy Monastery of Arkadi to French farmers. In 1974, the Monastery and its estates came under the ownership of the Municipality. The monastery complex has been renovated but is not inhabited until today. The small arched church of St. Paul is open occasionally.
Editor: Niki Kalopaidis