It is located near the settlement of the same name, a few kilometers south of the city of Rethymno, on the road to Roussospiti. It is a very old monastery, which should have existed since the 14th century. However, at some point it was destroyed and then completely abandoned and deserted. Its restoration began in 1989 and since then the nuns with their intense activity have given it life again. Today, the monastery also functions as a nucleus for the protection and preservation of our popular tradition in the field of handicrafts, especially weaving and embroidery, as it houses an exhibition of works produced by the nuns themselves.
Halevi Monastery: It is located near the village of Chromonastiri, which is about 12 km from Rethymnon. The large single-aisled church is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and bears the date 1864 on the lintel. However, the monastery must have existed since the 16th or 17th century. Apart from the church, the other buildings of the monastery are in ruins and of course the monastery is deserted. Since 1991 it has been attached to the Monastery of Agia Irini.
Source: The Monastery of Agia Irini