It is a nunnery located on a slope of the Lasithi mountains, next to the village of Kera. From the miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary located in the church of Agios Alphonsus in Rome and belonging to the 2nd Byzantine period, it can be concluded that the monastery was built in this period. In 1333 the Monastery was a fief belonging to the Latin Patriarch of Constantinople. Although the Monastery became Stavropigian since 1720, it received successive blows from the Turks in 1822, 1841, as well as in the revolution of 1866 - 69. The price of contribution to the national struggles was paid dearly. It is honored in the name of the Genesis of the Virgin.
Source: CULTURAL ASSOCIATION OF SAINT