The Holy Monastery of Jerusalem belongs to the province of Malevizio which occupies the northwestern part of the prefecture of Heraklion. There is no information about its establishment. It is mentioned for the first time in the patriarchal tables in 1654 when it was converted into a stauropigian monastery. The monastery became known during the Greek revolution due to its abbot Meletios Kalisperakis, who actively participated in the struggle. In 1866 he was the head of the Committee of Eastern Crete which had its headquarters in the area of Gonies Maleviziou.
Editor: Niki Kalopaidis