Gouvernetos Monastery, a fortified Stauropygian monastery, 4 km W from the monastery of Agia Triada, 19 km E from Chania. It is dedicated to the Entrances of the Virgin or as it is more widely known to the Lady of the Angels. It was built during the Venetian period, in 1548, and its catholicon, on the facade, is decorated with Venetian sculptures. On its western side is the narthex with two chapels, dedicated to Saint John the Hermit and the Ten Martyrs.
The monastery was destroyed by the Turks in the uprising of 1821, but was later rebuilt and ecclesiastically merged with the monastery of Agia Triada.
Editor: Fotini Anastasopoulou