The Castle is actually the oldest part of Chora. It is a well-preserved medieval settlement that was built to protect the island's people and their property from enemy raids and pirate attacks and has been continuously inhabited ever since.
The northern side of the Castle is built on the brow of a large and steep cliff that exceeds 200 meters. The initiative for the construction of the castle was the lord Markos Sanoudou's in 1212, a short time after he assumed the fate of the island.
Editor: Fotini Anastasopoulou