(midway between Chora and Pothia) - The site has been in continuous use since the Neolithic era. Due to its position, it dominates Chora and Pothia from a natural elevation. During the years of the Knighthood, due to the escalating Turkish attacks on the islands, the commander of the islands of Kos, Kalymnos, Leros and Nisyros, Knight Fantino Quirini, by order of the Grand Master Jean Bonpart de Lastic, obliged the inhabitants to build a new, personal castle. It consists of a perimeter wall, two circular towers, two entrances, and a rampart. Inside, the few buildings are kept in good condition: A mineral and brick food storehouse, two small churches, the newer one of Agios Georgios and the older one of Panagia. The Castle was permanently abandoned at the end of the 15th century, due to the incessant raids of the Turks, because due to its small size it could not cope with the needs of the population and mainly because the Great Castle of Chora was ready in 1495.
Three stone-built windmills (NE of the Castle) - Visible from the port, are the "registered trademark" of Kalymnos.
Editor: Fotini Anastasopoulou