The "tomb of Heuzey" is located in Palatitsia, near Vergina, west of the small settlement and forms a cluster together with the three adjacent Macedonian tombs that were uncovered on the Bella brothers' plot.
It was named so to honor the French archaeologist Leon Heuzey who was one of the pioneers in the archaeological research of Macedonia, who first conducted excavations in Vergina in 1861.
The tomb dates back to the end of the 4th century BC while it is one of the earliest examples of Macedonian tombs. The uniform surface of the facade was decorated with an Ionic architrave supported by two decorative capitals.
The pilasters and lintel of the door opening of the tomb were made of marble. The two parts of the outer door that are kept today in the Louvre Museum were also made of marble.
The interior walls of the two-chamber vaulted tomb were covered with colored mortars. In the funeral chamber there were two beds built of porolit with colored and written decoration.
Editor: Fotini Anastasopoulou