In Agios Andreas (N. of Apollonia), a walled acropolis at a strategic point in the interior of the island, is the best example of a fortification of the Mycenaean era in the Cyclades (1300 - 1100 BC). The wall had towers and surrounded a city of which small sections have been excavated. The fortification was renewed in the Geometric, Classical and Hellenistic times. Proto-Cycladic cemeteries (3rd millennium BC) were identified at the Vathi and Akrotiraki sites.
About 1000 BC it was colonized by Ionians coming from Attica. On Kastro Hill, a coastal citadel that was inhabited throughout the Bronze Age (3200 - 1100 BC), the ancient city of Sifnos was founded with facilities from the 8th century BC and wall of the 4th c. BC. A large number of ancient towers, perhaps to guard the mines and protect against piracy, such as the so-called Aspropyrgos near the bay of Platy Gialos. Sanctuary of Nymphs in Kamaro Bay. In the Castle, remains of an early Christian basilica and finds from the same period. At the site of "Stou Pothitou", remains of an early Christian settlement and basilicas at the site of the churches of Agios Thomas and Metamorfosis. Archaeological Museum in Apollonia.
Editor: Fotini Anastasopoulou