On the north-eastern side of Platy Gialos beach, are the ruins of Aspros Pyrgos. It is the most famous of the 57 ancient towers of the island. On the south side of the beach, at Akrotiraki, the excavations brought to light a prehistoric cemetery. This prehistoric cemetery of Platy Gialos, whose research was started in 1896 by Pollack, helped to obtain important information about the burial customs, the type of graves and the ritual habits of the islanders of that period. On the north side of the beach, at the top of the hill, is built the monastery of Panagia tou Vounou, which dates back to 1813. The view from up there is magnificent.
Editor: Fotini Anastasopoulou