On the southeast side of the island is the community of Lindos which was built on the ruins of the ancient city. The ancient amphitheater is located, carved into a rock, on the southwest side of the Acropolis of Lindos, under the temple of the goddess Athena. Parts of the hollow (5 stands out of 9) and the circular orchestra (the seats of the officials) are preserved. The hollow has 7 rows of seats in the upper section and 19 rows of seats (seats) in the lower section. The theater could accommodate about 1800-2000 spectators. It dates back to the 4th BC. h. and it is connected with the Sminthia, the big holidays with sports, musical competitions, processions... in honor of Dionysus. Ruins of a four-story rectangular building (3rd BC) with columns on its 4 sides and an outdoor courtyard were found near the stage of the theater. The entrance on the north-west side has a pediment (columns) with an arch. The building was probably used for cult ceremonies in honor of Smintheos Dionysos and could hold about 1600 spectators.
Editor: Niki Kalopaidis